Monday, April 13, 2009

Death by Shampoo

A couple of nights ago, I went to bathroom like I usually do before going to bed. As I was doing my business I decided to slide shut the shower door. As I was doing this I noticed a gigantic COCKROACH! I quickly shut the door. I decided to just leave it like that, since my host mom had told me that she sprays the place with “anti-bug spray”….(not quite sure what the proper name for that is….i’ve lost some English vocab since being down here)….so, even if bugs get in, they’re usually die pretty quickly. So I thought that it would die over night or crawl somewhere else.

The next day, I decided to take a shower, go figure. I got all of my stuff ready and I went into the bathroom. I remembered that I had left a cockroach to die in the shower the previous night, so I cautiously opened the shower door, carefully examined the shower and saw that the cockroach was nowhere in sight. So I turned on the water and waited until it got warm. I hopped into the shower, started to get my hair wet before putting in the shampoo, and felt something slightly feeling like tickling on my right foot. I thought it was just the water trickling down, but when I looked down I freaked out because there was my lovely pet cockroach just trying to get some love.

Needless to say, I jumped and let out a slight yelp. The cockroach was now on its back (with my many experiences with cockroaches here in Mexico, I have learned that they get stuck on their backs an astonishingly large amount of times). So I cupped my hands together to collect water and I poured it on the cockroach, hoping it would drown. I did this frantically for a minute, but the water never collected fast enough and I never got the aim quite right, so the cockroach got back on its feet and started scurrying about in the shower. I was jumping around trying to be as far away from it as possible but still trying to stay in some sort of strategic position to figure out how I was going to get rid of this monstrosity.

Finally, I cornered the cockroach….in the corner of the shower. It tried crawling up the wall. Since I really wasn’t into squashing it (I’ve had bad experiences with doing that here…) I did the next best thing I could think of. I grabbed my shampoo bottle and began squeezing the contents out onto the cockroach. Again, my aim wasn’t the greatest, so for a while I thought he was going to escape his gooey doom. Once all but one squeeze was left in my shampoo bottle, he stopped moving. The site of a dead cockroach covered in a white gooey substance covering a good portion of the corner of a shower is quite gratifying and disturbing at the same time. I finished that shower in record time in fear of it coming back to life or it dead body sliding eerily close to my feet. I can’t wait to get back home and not worry about cockroaches the size of my iPod nano…….

4 comments:

  1. YOU'RE ALIVE!! I thought for sure you'd been kidnapped, or run off with some hot latin guy. Thought the latter more likely. Living in Florida I've had a run in or to with the giant cockroaches they get in the warmer climates. Your friend probably crawled up out of the drain. I'm surprised the shampoo killed it, they seem almost indestructible. Good to hear you're still alive & well, near-death cockroach encounters notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i'm still alive....i was kidnapped by my job and i've also run off with some hot latin guy (more details to come.....oohhh) so you pretty much nailed it! glad you still check! it makes me feel loved! and i despise cockroaches!!! you may have your wamer weather down there in florida but we have smaller bugs up here in good ole wisconsin!!!!! hooray wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that's an awesome story .. those mexican cockroaches are pretty Hardcore and they survive evrything, trust me.. no bug spray killer will do it! o.0 srry to break the news but this time of the year brings the biggest cockroaches ever or maybe they just overdevelop during spring-summer time :s. I found ur blog while doin a research, i live in mzt too, im FROM mzt more likely. Enjoy ur time in Mzt.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind about THE cockroaches.. wear a mask!

    ReplyDelete